Wednesday, June 13, 2012

DIY End Tables


After years of begging my husband to paint our living room, he finally caved. When he did of course I had to come up with a new color scheme. Blue being my favorite, I knew it had to be incorporated. A lot. My curtains are a pretty blue color and I figured I needed more elsewhere. The end tables we had were hand me downs. We were like the fourth family they had been through. I decided it was time to find some new "old" ones. My favorite little thrift store in town did not disappoint. It took several weeks, but sure enough my mom called me on a random trip there and said she had found them. I took them home for about twenty bucks.


This is the before. They had glass tops and that is not what I had in mind at all. I wanted wood ones...

So we got to work. We took the glass out and my husband cut some wood to fit in it's place. He glued it into place and used some wood filler to fill the gaps. We sanded the table tops completely since I had planned on staining them.

I painted the legs a beautiful robins egg blue. I purchased the paint that already had primer in it and it saved me a huge hassle. I always do that. I only brushed on one coat. I didn't want it to look perfect.


Love the detail in the legs... I used the same dark stain that we had used on the tops and brushed a light coat over the blue. Every time I would brush some on I would immediately wipe it off with a paper towel. This was the result and it is exactly what I had in mind.


I love them, I think they look amazing sitting in the living room. (Please excuse the monster trucks, I had a fussy baby on my hip and was in a hurry). :)


I'm Linking Up:

Feature Yourself Friday @ Fingerprints on the Fridge
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots and Jello
The Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Monday Link Party @ Craft-O-Maniac

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, they look amazing! What a huge change from what they started as. I love the color too, it is so pretty against the dark wood.